Wednesday, November 6, 2019

The TikTok conundrum

TikTok may seem to many to be a benign platform for Gen Z'ers to make and share funny memes but could it become a Chinese vacuum for coveted American data?

Gary Vaynerchuk believes it will be greatly adopted and I have installed and uninstalled it already twice. First I wanted to understand what it was, then I realised that it was owned by a Chinese company and I wanted to find out more about what that meant. John Batelle spells it out in this blog.



While I did have TikTok installed I noticed already posts/films like this one appearing on twitter.



Is TikTok China's next big weapon? A discussion on adoption by US teens looks at whether this is a shiny new app that becomes ubiquitous or whether there is a hidden agenda.

Reuters describes how there are over 26 million users in the US while the tensions over trade and technology transfers between the US and China are growing. So the US has launched an inquiry into the acquisition of Musical.ly by TikTok owner Beijing ByteDance Technology Co. Link

At the moment it is uninstalled again. I am not going to be a TikTok star for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment